If you don’t want to go to the expense of a file server (a dedicated computer to store and backup your files) then how about using Dropbox instead…
- Sign up for an account with Dropbox on the 1st computer.
- Install the Dropbox software and move the files you want to share to the “My Dropbox” folder.
- The files will now copy themselves up to your secure folder on the Dropbox site.
- Go to the 2nd computer and install the Dropbox software using the account details you setup in step 1.
- Once completed, the files you added to Dropbox in step 2 will start to be downloaded / syncronised on the 2nd computer.
- For any other computers, just repeat steps 4 & 5.
Any files that are altered are immediately copied from the computer that altered them to the Dropbox site and then to all computers using that account.
Don’t worry if you are not connected when a file is amended as it will be updated as soon as you do.
You get 2GB free with Dropbox (that’s about 2,000MB) or you can upgrade to 50GB for about £6 per month.
If you sign up for an account using this link you get an extra 250MB of space added to your account.